SCBWI Baby Quilts!

You know I'm the Illustrator Coordinator for the southern region of the SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators), right? Lin Oliver and Steve Mooser started SCBWI back in the 70's - now the largest organization of its kind in the world. Well, her daughter-in-law and his daughter are both having babies. So, on the sly, the SCBWI Regional Advisors came up with a plan to make custom-made baby quilts using art from a group of children's book illustrators. I was thrilled to be asked and contributed a square to each.
     They turned out completely ADORABLE and are being presented to the new mommies in LA during the SCBWI National Conference this very weekend. Wish I could be there, but Linda Rodriguez Bernfeld (RA, Florida) promised to send photos. (She was the head organizer of all this.)
     Meanwhile, she sent photos of the quilts (sewn by Kimberly Lynn Strickler). You're going to want to click these to see them larger. My images are dead center on the bottom line on each quilt - a moon and a fairy. Can you pick out the other contributors' work?
     There's artwork from Dan Santat, Paul O. Zelinsky, Frank Remkiewicz, Laurent Linn, Henry Cole, Katherine Blackmore, Mark Teague, Ethan Long, Linda Shute, Richard Jesse Watson, Jeff Krosoczka, Pat Cummings, Brian Pinkney, Tomie dePaola, Kristi Valiant, Julie Paschkis, Jeni Reeves, Janeen Mason, Priscilla Burris, Mary Ann Fraser, Loreen Leedy, Leeza Hernandez, Dan Yaccarino, Marla Frazee, Jaime Temairik, Yuyi Morales, *whew*! and little 'ol me!
     Some treasures, eh? I know I'd sleep well under these if I were a wee wittle one.

2 comments:

Robyn Hood Black said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Those are brilliant and adorable. What lucky babies!!

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

Wow! So cool!